Development Geographies

search criteria = ALL
last person joined: 3 hours ago 
Description
Mission

The purpose of the Development Geographies Specialty Group (DGSG) is to provide a forum for research, education, and practice related to development studies and to developing areas. Our members are located around the world and engage in theoretical, applied, and critical work within the field of international development.

Dues

Regular: $5
Student: $1
Free for developing regions members

Chair
Waquar Ahmed
University of North Texas
Geography Department
Email: Waquar.Ahmed@unt.edu

Latest Discussion Postings

Please login to see all eligible discussion postings

Latest Shared Files

Community Blogs

• Farhana Sultana

DGSG

Development Geographies

DGSG provides a forum for research, education,... more

The Development Geographies Specialty Group (DGSG) is pleased to announce our Highlighted Session at the AAG in Chicago: “Development Geographies: Looking Forward” on Thursday, 4/23/2015, from 1:20 PM - 3:00 PM in Regency B, Hyatt, West Tower, Gold Level. Speakers include Eric Sheppard, Richard Peet, David Simon and Sue Roberts. Please plan to attend!

I would also like to invited you to attend the DGSG Business Meeting on Wednesday, 4/22/2015, from 8:15 PM - 9:15 PM in Grand Suite 2 AB, Hyatt, East Tower, Gold Level.

DGSG is also pleased to announce the winners of our two student competitions. Thank you to everyone who submitted an application, we had a very strong pool to choose from.

The 2015 DGSG Student Paper Award to Jana Kleibert (University of Amsterdam)

The 2015 DGSG Gary Gaile Travel Award goes to Willie J. Wright (UNC-Chapel Hill)

Congratulations to our winners!

As the outgoing Chair of DGSG, I wanted to thank those who have joined our group and to everyone who has contributed to making DGSG a thriving community. Look forward to seeing you in Chicago!

Best,

Farhana

Announcements

DGSG 2015 student awards announcement

DGSG is also pleased to announce the winners of our two student competitions. Thank you to everyone who submitted an application, we had a very strong pool to choose from.

The 2015 DGSG Student Paper Award to Jana Kleibert (University of Amsterdam)

The 2015 DGSG Gary Gaile Travel Award goes to Willie J. Wright (UNC-Chapel Hill)

Congratulations to our winners!

DGSG sponsored sessions in AAG in Chicago

Development Geographies Specialty Group is sponsoring 85 sessions at 2015 AAG. Check them out! Date, time and location can be found on the AAG program:

1. Agriculture in a Changing Climate - Part I: A Look at Climate Impacts on Crop Productivity and Sustainability Across Sub-Saharan Africa
2. American Geography and Vietnam Forty Years After the Fall of Saigon
3. Authoritarian resource governance, emergent resistance, and unequal development I
4. Authoritarian resource governance, emergent resistance, and unequal development II
5. Beyond the Resource Curse: Toward a Coordinated Approach to Natural Resource Management in Africa
6. BRICS in Africa: Shifting Geographies through South-South Cooperation (I)
7. BRICS in Africa: Shifting Geographies through South-South Cooperation (II)
8. Central American 'Crisis' Revisited 1: Crises of social reproduction
9. Central American 'Crisis' Revisited 2: Resource & environmental crises
10. Central American 'Crisis' Revisited 3: Crisis narratives and (in)security
11. Central American 'Crisis' Revisited 4
12. Changing Landscapes and Livelihoods in the Amazon Basin 1: Agriculture, natural resource use and poverty in Western Amazonia
13. Changing Landscapes and Livelihoods in the Amazon Basin 5: Development, agrobiodiversity and infectious disease
14. Cities and Urban Regions in the Americas 1
15. Cities and Urban Regions in the Americas 2
16. Cities and Urban Regions in the Americas 3
17. Cities and Urban Regions in the Americas 4
18. Climate Change Adaptation and Gender
19. Critical approaches to migration studies: New directions at the intersection of migration studies and critical theory and methods
20. Development Geographies Specialty Group Business Meeting
21. Development Geographies: Looking Forward
22. Digital Connectivity, Inclusion, and Inequality at the World's Economic Peripheries
23. Digital Connectivity, Inclusion, and Inequality at the World's Economic Peripheries 2
24. Digital Connectivity, Inclusion, and Inequality at the World's Economic Peripheries 3
25. Disastrous Political Ecologies I: Critical Perspectives on Disaster
26. Disastrous Political Ecologies II: Critical Perspectives on Disaster
27. Disastrous Political Ecologies III: Critical Perspectives on Disaster
28. Experimental Developments
29. Experimental Developments
30. From Online Sweat Shops to Silicon Savannahs (session 1): Geographies of Production in Digital Economies of Low-Income Countries
31. From Online Sweat Shops to Silicon Savannahs (session 2): Geographies of Production in Digital Economies of Low-Income Countries
32. Geographies of Labour and Development 1
33. Geographies of Labour and Development 2
34. Geographies of Labour and Development 3
35. Grounding Knowledge, Assembling Policies I - Development trajectories in the Global South
36. Grounding Knowledge, Assembling Policies II - Urban policy circulations in the Global South
37. Grounding Knowledge, Assembling Policies III - Emerging infrastructures in the Global South
38. Health and Environment I: Understanding Interactions in a Dynamic World
39. Health and Environment II: Understanding Interactions in a Dynamic World
40. Health and Environment III: Understanding Interactions in a Dynamic World
41. Health and Environment IV: Understanding Interactions in a Dynamic World
42. Health and Environment V: A Panel Discussion on Future Directions
43. Hybrid knowledges and embodied experiences in the spaces of development - Session 1
44. Hybrid knowledges and embodied experiences in the spaces of development - Session 2
45. In the Green Kitchen: Critically assessing Domestic Energy Interventions for Climate and Development (Session 1)
46. In the Green Kitchen: Critically assessing Domestic Energy Interventions for Climate and Development (Session 2)
47. Informal food systems and livelihoods in cities of the global South: Connecting case studies from Brazil, Cameroon, Haiti, and Malawi
48. Institutionalizing local buzz and global pipelines? The Potential of Innovation Hubs and Labs to Stimulate Creativity and Entrepreneurship
49. International Organizations for Planning of Cities and Urban Regions 1
50. International Organizations for Planning of Cities and Urban Regions 2
51. International Organizations for Planning of Cities and Urban Regions 3
52. Investing in the Global Land Rush I: Capitalization and Contestations
53. Investing in the Global Land Rush II: Enframing and Strategizing Value
54. Investing in the Global Land Rush III: Alternative Ontologies and Livelihoods
55. Micropolitics of environmental governance, institutional arrangements and grassroots development 1
56. Micropolitics of environmental governance, institutional arrangements and grassroots development 2
57. Micropolitics of environmental governance, institutional arrangements and grassroots development 3
58. Middle-Class Trajectories in the Global South: A Comparative and Intersectional Approach
59. Mountain Connectivity Conservation and Development
60. Move-in move-out: Impact of new flows and mobilities on translocal development
61. Move-in move-out: Impact of new flows and mobilities on translocal development (cont.)
62. Outcast Cities I: Displacement in Urban Theory
63. Outcast Cities II: Displacement of Urban Theory
64. Outcast Cities III: Spatial Strategies of/against Displacement
65. Outcast Cities IV: Theorizing the Urban Beyond Displacement
66. POLITICAL ECONOMY OF 'NEW' INDIA - 01
67. POLITICAL ECONOMY OF 'NEW' INDIA - 02
68. POLITICAL ECONOMY OF 'NEW' INDIA - 03
69. Questioning geography's 'healthy subject' Session II: Rest, Inertia, Lassitude and Lack of Agency
70. Re-Birth of the Region: Saliency, Implications and Imaginaries
71. Recasting the Rural: State, Society and Space in Contemporary China
72. Rendering Land Investable I: Multiple Ontologies and Materialities in the Global Land Rush
73. Rendering Land Investable II: Multiple Ontologies and Materialities in the Global Land Rush
74. Session 1 - Development as improvisation? Exploring the significance of improvisation in contemporary development contexts
75. Session 2 - Development as improvisation? Exploring the significance of improvisation in contemporary development contexts
76. Sustainable Energy for All: Renewable Energy and Decentralisation (1)
77. Sustainable Energy for All: Renewable Energy and Decentralisation (2)
78. Taking Account of Culture in the Study of Risk and Disasters, and in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Practice I
79. Taking Account of Culture in the Study of Risk and Disasters, and in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Practice II
80. The entrepreneurial city reconsidered: new agendas and diverse geographies
81. The Politics and Anti-Politics of Adaptation to Climate Change I
82. The Politics and Anti-Politics of Adaptation to Climate Change II
83. The Politics and Anti-Politics of Adaptation to Climate Change III
84. The Politics of Social Policy and Community Development under Financialization I: New Financial Networks and Relationships
85. The Politics of Social Policy and Community Development under Financialization II: Ambiguous and Emergent Political Contestation