Regional Development and Planning

search criteria = ALL
last person joined: 7 hours ago 
Description
Mission
To encourage and promote research, teaching, service and communication among members of the group; to publish and distribute newsletters twice a year featuring upcoming activities and other items of interest. Organize special sessions or events at AAG meetings.

Dues
Regular: $3
Student: $1

Chair
Xinyue Ye, Ph.D.
Department of Geography
314 McGilvrey Hall, Kent State University, Kent, OH, 44242
Telephone: 330-672-7939
Email: xinyue.ye@GMAIL.COM

Latest Discussion Postings

Please login to see all eligible discussion postings

Latest Shared Files

Announcements

Chair's Message

Dear RDPSG Members,

I hope all of you have enjoyed a relaxing and wonderful summer!

In this “Letter from the Chair,” I will focus on reporting the current status and development of the specialty group and foreshadowing our activities at Chicago meeting.

At the April 8-12, 2014, AAG Meeting in Tampa, FL our Specialty Group sponsored 17 paper sessions. As of 7/31/2014, the RDPSG had 275 members. Membership numbers tend to grow the most in October and November as more people renew and join with their conference registration. An estimated 20 percent of the members participate in Group affairs - serving as officers and committee members, and organizing and participating in paper and panel sessions, and field trips at AAG meetings.

A rich and growing empirical literature in regional and urban planning studies crosses spatial scales. Comparative analysis between and within various spatial systems has begun to attract attention. The multiple dimensions and scales of urban and regional dynamics pose numerous challenges for the application and evaluation of public policies in the comparative context. Timely and rigorous analysis over the emerging socioeconomic events will open up a rich empirical context for the social science and policy development. At the same time, research in the fields of temporal GIS and spatial econometrics has generated many novel space-time methods. Hence, the research landscape on Regional Development and Planning is both dynamic and exciting! Illustrating this, in addition to our standard session co-sponsors such as the China Geography (CGSG) and Asian Geography (AGSG) specialty groups, we now have co-sponsored sessions and collaborations with CyberInfrastructure, GI Science & Systems, Spatial Analysis & Modeling, among others.

I cordially welcome you to submit abstracts and organize sessions for the AAG 2015 Chicago meeting. The due date is November 5th. We encourage and promote planning policy studies, research, teaching and communications among members of the group and beyond. If you are interested in organizing a RDPSG-sponsored session, seeking co-sponsorship from RDPSG for your session, or having any session-related questions, please don't hesitate to contact me (xye5@kent.edu).

RDPSG is currently finalizing a new website to hold the history and activities of this specialty group. It is expected to be released by the end of September. At the same time, we are working on a journal special issue plan to attract more quality submissions to our student paper competition and research award.

Looking forward to meeting you all in Chicago, April 21-25, 2015! I do hope everyone will continue to have a productive year in teaching, research, and service!

Xinyue Ye

Chair of Regional Development and Planning Specialty Group