Geographic Perspectives on Women

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Mission
To promote geographic research and education on topics relating to women and gender.

Dues
Regular: $10
Student: $2

Chair
Ingrid Nelson
Department of Geography
University of Vermont
Email: prof.ing.nel@gmail.com

Latest Discussion Posts

Please login to see all eligible discussion postings

Either the content you're seeking doesn't exist or it requires proper authentication before viewing.

Latest Shared Files

Either the content you're seeking doesn't exist or it requires proper authentication before viewing.

Announcements

• GPOW Book Celebration

Hello everyone,

The Geographic Perspectives on Women (GPOW) specialty group will highlight many important books this year at our annual GPOW book celebration (see the list of nominated books below).

We have reserved the Fenway Community Center (FCC) for Thursday, April 6th from 7:00-9:00pm. Join us for light snacks and wine!

The FCC is either a 20 min walk directly down Boylston St. from the convention center (0.9 mi.) or 5 minutes on Bus #55 or a 15-minute taxi ride (due to street direction). It's just behind Fenway Park: Click here to see the map. (1282 Boylston St #123, Boston, MA 02215)

We are looking forward to seeing you in Boston!

Warm regards, 
    Ingrid L. Nelson

Nominated Books:

Browne, Kath and Gavin Brown (eds.) 2016. Routledge Research Companion to Geographies of Sex and Sexualities. London: Routledge.

Browne, Kath and Eduarda Ferreira (eds.) 2015. Lesbian Geographies: Gender, Place and Power. London: Ashgate.

Conlon, Deirdre and Nancy Hiemstra (eds.) 2016. Intimate Economies of Immigration Detention: critical perspectives. London: Routledge.

Fluri, Jennifer L. and Rachel Lehr. 2016. The Carpetbaggers of Kabul and Other American-Afghan Entanglements: Intimate Development, Geopolitics and the Currency of Gender and Grief. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press. 

Hyndman, Jennifer and Wenona Giles. 2017. Refugees in extended exile: living on the edge. London: Routledge.

Longhurst, Robyn. 2017. Skype: Bodies, Screens, Space. London: Routledge.

McConnell, Fiona. 2016. Rehearsing the State: The Political Practices of the Tibetan Government-In-Exile. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley Blackwell. 

Moss, Pamela and Courtney Donovan (eds.) 2017. Writing Intimacy Into Feminist Geography. Routledge: London.

Parker, Brenda. 2017. Masculinities and Markets: Raced and Gendered Urban Politics in Milwaukee. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.

Trauger, Amy. 2017. We Want Land to Live! Making Political Space for Food Sovereignty. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.

• AAG GPOW Business Meeting Time/Location, Session Sponsorship, Book Event Update and Conference Links

Dear GPOW members,

The GPOW business meeting at the AAG in Boston will be on Friday, from 11:50am-1:10pm in the Commonwealth Room in the Sheraton (our request for a change to a lunchtime spot instead of the evening came through this morning).

If you have not already requested GPOW sponsorship for your session (helps everyone find GPOW sessions in the App/program) and would like to do so, please contact Amy Schubert (amelia.schubert@colorado.edu) and Amy Piedalue (amypied@gmail.com) before February 20th.

We are planning to host our GPOW Book Event and will post details about the time/date as soon as we can confirm them. In the meantime, we are still happy to accept book nominations until March 15th (please email Denise Goerisch: goeriscd@gvsu.edu - books published between February 2016 and March 2017). If you have contacts in Boston, we welcome suggestions for venues as we are still working on finding a suitable space.

Finally, I recently emailed the GEOGFEM listserv the following unofficial/personal note:
    In light of everything that's going on right now (Executive Orders, etc.), I also want to highlight that there is a lot of traffic on listservs and it is difficult to keep up and also support loved ones, colleagues, students, friends, and others in crisis at this time. I do not normally post very much on listservs for personal reasons, so I want to apologize if I have been quieter than most. I just want to say on a personal note that I deeply appreciate everyone's efforts and work that I know they are doing in all of the spaces where they are. Please contact me if you need additional support, links to resources or want to connect as we prepare for AAG, and as some consider shifting sessions to the CAG meeting in May/June among many other options being discussed on various listservs right now. The CAG2017 announcement is here: http://cag-acg2017.ca/ and it is important to note that the Executive Order not only makes it difficult for many to enter the US, but it also means that many are fearful of leaving the US and not being able to return. I also wanted to note the updated and extended call for this Feminist Geography Conference (details and announcements here: https://feministgeography.org/).

paz,
    Ingrid