First of all, thanks for signing up! We appreciate your initiative to help introduce GIS and geography into K-12 education across the country and are happy to have you as part of our community!
What should you do next? ….Follow these 5 steps!
- Know the ropes. If you haven’t already, take a few minutes to learn about the Esri Schools Program and the GeoMentors program built to support it. Click here.
- Know the resources. Before pursuing a volunteer opportunity, take a moment to browse the training and curriculum materials readily available to you. These may be helpful to you and are also great resources to know to tell schools and teachers about. Click here.
- Review guidelines. Before contacting potential collaborators, review some basic GeoMentor program guidelines. Click here.
- Find a Collaborator. Find a teacher or school to work with using your own social network or our available online databases and maps. Click here.
Find a new school to recruit to the program. Find a school that has yet to sign up for their free GIS software and help introduce them to this opportunity! You could be the one to bring GIS software and activities into the classrooms of your alma mater, your child’s school, or your local community schools! Click here.
- Reach out and get started! Use the provided guidelines to contact an educator registered in our program that is seeking a GeoMentor (guidelines here) or to contact other schools, school districts, or teachers directly (guidelines here) to start your collaboration and contribution to K-12 education!
Also, don’t forget to….
It is through your efforts, expertise, and enthusiasm that we can really make a difference in K-12 education across the country with GIS and geography!
Have questions? Contact program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy GeoMentoring!