Humanities and Social Studies Education
National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Faculty Search 2020
Asst. Prof. in Physical Geography (Tenure-Track)
The Humanities and Social Studies Education (HSSE) Academic Group at the National Institute of Education in Singapore combines the expertise of scholars and experienced education specialists in history, geography and social studies to deliver impactful research and teacher education programmes. We offer an extensive range of courses focused on both classroom pedagogy and disciplinary content relevant to history, geography, and social studies educators, curriculum specialists, undergraduate teaching scholars and higher degree students. HSSE scholarship in educational practice ─ as well as in the disciplines of history, geography, and social studies ─ is relevant to a range of 21st Century issues fundamental to the preparation of professionals interested in academic careers, school leadership and educational specialisations. HSSE also has several collaborative projects focused on digital humanities, sustainability, and disciplinary thinking that focus on innovations designed to lead practice and guide change in education.
HSSE Academic Group intends to appoint a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Physical Geography, with preferred specializations in any of the following:
• Biogeography / Landscape Ecology
This position provides opportunity to conduct research in the applicant’s area of specialization and teach geography content at the world’s #11-ranked university (QS World University Rankings). In addition, there are unique opportunities to link content and geographic education research through the Sustainability Learning Lab and the IoT@NIE Learning Lab.
Successful candidates must have :
- A PhD in Geography, with specialization in Hydrometeorology or Biogeography / Landscape Ecology or related fields, from an internationally acclaimed institution at the time of appointment.
- Experience with, and an ability to teach, GIS, remote sensing, statistics, and geographic techniques.
- A good track record in research, including publication or a promising trajectory in research and publication for early career scholars.
- Demonstrated experience leading undergraduate field research.
- A good track record in teaching both undergraduate and graduate levels as well as in-service professional development courses.
- Familiarity with the Singapore geography curriculum and the Singapore education system strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and technology skills and dedication to academic teaching excellence and collegiality.
Successful candidates will be expected to:
- Build up a strong research and publication record.
- Teach undergraduate-level, post-graduate level and in-service professional development courses in Physical Geography.
- Supervise and mentor undergraduate pre-service teachers in their school teaching practice and capstone Geography fieldwork and research projects.
- Supervise Masters and PhD dissertation work.
- Undertake any administrative duties or committee work required as exigencies of service.
Please click the apply button and submit the following documents to us:
- A research statement
- A teaching statement
- A detailed curriculum vitae including a publication list, three writing samples and names of three referees and your desired starting date of employment
- List of your best publications
- Any other documents beyond those listed here or requested on the application form that demonstrate your qualifications and credentials
This position will remain open until filled.
For enquiries, interested applicants may write to A/P Ivy Maria Lim at email@example.com
Note to applicants
We regret that only successful candidates will be notified (via email).