Transportation Geography

last person joined: 26 minutes ago 

Mission
To encourage and facilitate interactions among individuals who are interested in research, practice, and education of transportation-related topics.

Dues
Regular: $7
Student: $2

Chair
Bradley Lane
University of Kansas
Email: bwlane@ku.edu

Latest Discussion Posts

Please login to see all eligible discussion postings

Either the content you're seeking doesn't exist or it requires proper authentication before viewing.

Latest Shared Files

Either the content you're seeking doesn't exist or it requires proper authentication before viewing.

Announcements

• 2020 TGSG Award Winners

Dear Transport Geographers,

I hope this finds you all well and taking good care during these uncertain and difficult times. I want to express my best wishes to you and your families.

I am delighted to share with you the winners of the 2020 Transportation Geography Specialty Group Awards. We will be posting virtual award acknowledgements on the TGSG website later, and we plan on honoring any awardees from 2020 who can make it to the 2021 meeting in person in Seattle. Please join me in congratulation our winners!

Master’s Thesis Award:

Yun-Hsuan Chen, “Determinants of Flight Delays in East Asia: Airport, Route, and Network,” supervised by Jen-Jia Lin, National Taiwan University

Ph.D. Dissertation Award: 

Joris Beckers, “The Logistics Sector in a Consumer Driven Society: Essays on Location and Network Structure,” supervised by Ann Verhetsel, University of Antwerp

Student Travel Awards: 

Aimee Krafft, University of Nevada-Reno
    Elina Sukaryavichute, University of North Carolina-Charlotte

Edward L. Ullman Award:

Dr. Julie L. Cidell, Professor in the Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science at the University of Illinois.

Dr. Cidell is urban geographer who studies transportation and mobility, urban sustainability, and local government. Her main interests center on the social, political, and environmental contexts and consequences of infrastructure and standards. She has published extensively on the impact of airport expansion on neighboring communities, the political ecology of green buildings, and the spatiality of hazardous materials transport. She is currently working on her third book, “An Introduction to Transportation Geography: Transport, Mobility, and Place” (Roman & Littlefield), and has published 2 other books, 32 peer-reviewed journal articles, 11 book chapters, and 18 other professional reports and reviews as author or co-author. Dr. Cidell is a past chair of the Transportation Geography Specialty Group, was Treasurer and Executive Councilor of the American Association of Geographers, and a board member of several other groups and committees in the AAG. Among her teaching profile are courses in transportation and sustainability, sustainable urbanism, global urbanization and city form, geography and technology, and transportation and mobility. She has also served on the editorial boards of the Journal of Transport Geography and The Professional Geographer.

She earned her PhD in Geography from the University of Minnesota, and is a past winner of both the TGSG’s Master’s Thesis and PhD Dissertation Awards, as well as a finalist of the J. Warren Nystrom Award of the AAG in 2005. In addition to her position at the University of Illinois, he has held a visiting appointment at the University of Melbourne (Australia), and prior positions at California State-San Bernardino, California State-Sacramento, and as a transportation engineer in Boston. We look forward to her Fleming Lecture next year in Seattle and honoring all our awardees at the TGSG Business Meeting and the Fleming Lecture Reception!