Recent Activities & Items of Interest
AGSG Business Items
- 2023 Business Meeting: Thank you to everyone who participated in this year's annual AAG meeting! If you would like to view a video of the business meeting, it is published on the AAG website. Other session recordings can also be found in the session gallery.
- New Board Members: after the election we now have a new board for the 2023-2026 term. The new board members can be found on the home page of the AGSG website. https://community.aag.org/appliedgeography/home
AAG Annual Meeting
Awards & Opportunities
- Anderson Medal: The Anderson Medal committee and AGSG board voted to award the 2023 Anderson Medal of Applied Geography. Please congratulate Gary O.A. Molyneaux, Ph.D. as this year's Medal of Honor recipient! Visit the Anderson Medal webpage for more information.
- Kauffman Paper Awards in Geography & Entrepreneurship: The 2023 awards have been posted and can be found here https://www.aag.org/award-grant/kauffman/
Fun Stuff & Good Reads/Listens
Upcoming Opportunities & Events
- AAG Journals:
- Applied Geography Journal:
- Evelien Bakker the Executive Editor at Springer reached out about an opportunity to contribute chapters to the international handbook series on human geography and a handbook on applied geography. The book will contain tertiary literature, digested and established knowledge presented in an easily accessible format for use by researchers and scientists at all levels but also aimed at scientists from related areas and junior scientists. If you are interested in contributing to this as either an author or editor, please reach out to Evelien (
- Applied Geography Conference October 14-16, 2023 More info: http://www.appgeogconf.org/
- ASPRS Annual Conference / Geo Week 2024: Professionals working with photogrammetry, remote sensing, and GIS gather at the ASPRS Annual Conference for technical workshops, education sessions, awards recognizing excellence, and ASPRS committee meetings. Members and non-members welcome! February 11-14, 2024 in Denver, CO. More info: https://www.geo-week.com/asprs/
- ESRI User Conference: Join the world's largest GIS conference. July 11–15, 2024 More info: https://www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/uc/save-date
- NASA ARSET hosts virtual trainings introducing remote sensing resources. For a list of upcoming trainings and to access freely-available training archives
- Esri MOOC Program:Massive open online courses show how to apply geospatial thinking and create data-driven insight that improves organizations, communities, and the world. To see upcoming courses see link above.
Internship & Job Openings
- The AAG offers a wealth of information to answer questions, guide your career planning, and help you find a job. Members and non-members alike are invited to explore AAG resources: https://jobs.aag.org/
- NASA internships and fellowships leverage NASA’s unique missions and programs to enhance and increase the capability, diversity and size of the nation’s future workforce. Internships are available from high school to graduate level. Internships provide students with the opportunity to participate in either research or other experiential learning, under the guidance of a mentor at NASA. US citizenship is required. For more information, visit: https://intern.nasa.gov/
- NASA DEVELOP, part of NASA’s Applied Sciences Program, addresses environmental and public policy issues through interdisciplinary research projects that apply the lens of NASA Earth observations to community concerns around the globe. The program runs three terms a year (spring, summer, and fall). For more information, eligibility, and application deadlines, visit: https://develop.larc.nasa.gov/apply.php
Stay in touch!
Follow us on Twitter: @applied_geog
Follow us on Facebook: Applied Geography SG facebook page
Visit our Community Website: Applied Geography Community Site