Recent Activities & Items of Interest
AGSG Business Items
- 2021 Election: The AGSG is looking for candidates for officers for the 2021-2023 Board. Positions include Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, and two Student Representatives. Descriptions and expectations for these roles can be found in the AGSG bylaws: https://community.aag.org/appliedgeography/bylaws. To nominate yourself or someone else, complete the following form by March 1: https://forms.gle/2qp6po1wSM1DKrWv8. Elections will take place virtually before the 2021 Annual Meeting and the new board will be introduced at the business meeting.
- 2021 Business Meeting: The business meeting will be held virtually in conjunction with the AAG Annual Meeting. Details to be announced.
AAG Annual Meeting
- The AAG Annual Meeting will take place April 7-11, 2021 and has transitioned entirely to virtual. For more information, visit: https://www2.aag.org/aagannualmeeting/
- Jan 29th is the deadline to submit an abstract for poster presentation.
- So far the AGSG is sponsoring 18 sessions at the 2021 Annual Meeting. If you have organized a session and would like AGSG to sponsor, please email Rebecca Loraamm (email@example.com).
Awards & Opportunities
- Conference Registration Awards: For 2021 the Applied Geography Specialty Group is offering conference registration awards to support attending the virtual conference. More details coming soon.
- Global MapAid (or simply MapAid) is an American-British not-for-profit, registered in the USA as a 501c3 and in England & Wales under the Charity Commission. MapAid is a group of over 40 unpaid volunteers, in a friendly & respectful team culture. Their goal is to make maps promoting sustainable development so policy makers, development agencies, and ordinary people may see clearly where the help is needed, or available. www.globalmapaid.org MapAid’s US board needs passionate, skilful, new members, with a love for maps as tools for human enlightenment and a passion for social & economic justice - including small business start-ups. We need our board members to carry out one or more of these functions: Mapping, Imagery, Data hunting, Data science, Fundraising, Administration, Legal & Filings, Volunteer Management, Board chair, UK board liaison member, Secretary. Please email your cover note and CV with 3 work references, explaining your application to: RupertDouglasBate@globalmapaid.org, MapAid, UK, chair
Fun Stuff & Good Reads/Listens
Upcoming Opportunities & Events
Internship & Job Openings
Stay in touch!
Follow us on Twitter: @applied_geog
Follow us on Facebook: Applied Geography SG facebook page
Visit our Community Website: Applied Geography Community Site