Recent Activities & Items of Interest
AGSG Business Items
- 2021 Election: The AGSG has added a new student representative for the 2021-2023 Board. Please welcome Chinedu Nsude! In addition to the other board member positions, descriptions and expectations for these roles can be found in the AGSG bylaws: https://community.aag.org/appliedgeography/bylaws.
- 2022 Business Meeting: Since the annual meeting will be held both in person and virtually this coming year, the board is discussing options as to whether the business meeting will be held virtually, in-person, or both in conjunction with the AAG Annual Meeting. Details to be announced.
AAG Annual Meeting
Awards & Opportunities
- AGSG Travel Awards. The AGSG Travel Awards serve to support travel for members of the Applied Geography Specialty Group who are participating in the 2022 AAG Annual Meeting. This award is open to all members of the specialty group who are presenting in any research-related capacity at the meeting. Applicants must be dues-paying members of the Applied Geography Specialty Group to be eligible for consideration. Multiple awards will be granted. Awards will be distributed by AAG as soon as awardees provide proof of conference registration. Awardees are expected to attend the AGSG business meeting during the 2022 AAG meeting to be recognized for their achievement. Funding is not guaranteed as applications are selected competitively. Applications are due no later than January 9, 2022. Apply: https://forms.gle/9JEFv4x6o5285rih8
- Anderson Medal: The Anderson Medal Competition is open and accepting applications. Nominations for the 2021 competition are due December 1, 2021. Visit the Anderson Medal webpage for more information and eligibility requirements for the Anderson Medal. If you have any questions, please reach out to Dr. Michael N. DeMers at email@example.com
- AAG Enrichment Fund: The AAG Enrichment Fund welcomes applications from geographers, non-geographers, and students and provides financial support to those who would benefit from attending the annual meeting, but would be unable to do so without the financial support. Applications are considered on a competitive basis and the deadline for applications is November 4, 2021. Applications received after this date will be considered on a rolling basis as funds are available. Apply: https://geographers.wufoo.com/forms/zj1f8cx0hwc13p/
- Kauffman Paper Awards in Geography & Entrepreneurship: Sponsored by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the AAG hosts two annual awards for promising research studying geography and entrepreneurship: one for best paper and one for best student paper. The award identifies innovative research in business, applied or community geography that is relevant to questions related to entrepreneurs and their firms as well as to practitioners and policymakers. Research that has direct practical implications and that addresses pressing environmental, economic and/or social problems is especially appropriate for these awards. Awards are presented at the AAG Annual Meeting. Two awardees will receive a check for $1,500, complimentary meeting registration, and a complimentary ticket to the AAG Awards Luncheon. The runner up for each award will receive complimentary registration and a complimentary ticket to the AAG Awards Luncheon. Award winners and runners up will be invited to present their research in a session highlighting geography and entrepreneurship. Deadline to submit: November 5, 2021. For more information, visit: http://www.aag.org/kauffman
Fun Stuff & Good Reads/Listens
Upcoming Opportunities & Events
- Applied Geography Conference 2021 / AAG Regions Connect: A Joint Climate-Forward Initiative. October 14-16, 2021 virtual. More info: https://www.appgeogconf.org/2021-conference.html
- ASPRS Annual Conference / Geo Week 2022: Professionals working with photogrammetry, remote sensing, and GIS gather at the ASPRS Annual Conference for technical workshops, education sessions, awards recognizing excellence, and ASPRS committee meetings. Members and non-members welcome! February 6-8, 2022 in Denver, CO. More info: https://www.geo-week.com/asprs/
- ESRI User Conference: Join the world's largest GIS conference. July 11–15, 2022 in San Diego, CA. More info: https://www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/uc/save-date
- Pecora 22: Opening the Aperture to Innovation - Expanding our Collective Understanding of a Changing Earth - October 23-27, 2022 in Denver, CO. More info: https://pecora22.org/
- NASA ARSET hosts virtual trainings introducing remote sensing resources. For a list of upcoming trainings and to access freely-available training archives
- Esri MOOC Program:Massive open online courses show how to apply geospatial thinking and create data-driven insight that improves organizations, communities, and the world. To see upcoming courses see link above.
Internship & Job Openings
- The AAG offers a wealth of information to answer questions, guide your career planning, and help you find a job. Members and non-members alike are invited to explore AAG resources: https://jobs.aag.org/
- NASA internships and fellowships leverage NASA’s unique missions and programs to enhance and increase the capability, diversity and size of the nation’s future workforce. Internships are available from high school to graduate level. Internships provide students with the opportunity to participate in either research or other experiential learning, under the guidance of a mentor at NASA. US citizenship is required. For more information, visit: https://intern.nasa.gov/
- NASA DEVELOP, part of NASA’s Applied Sciences Program, addresses environmental and public policy issues through interdisciplinary research projects that apply the lens of NASA Earth observations to community concerns around the globe. The program runs three terms a year (spring, summer, and fall). For more information, eligibility, and application deadlines, visit: https://develop.larc.nasa.gov/apply.php
Stay in touch!
Follow us on Twitter: @applied_geog
Follow us on Facebook: Applied Geography SG facebook page
Visit our Community Website: Applied Geography Community Site