Recent Activities & Items of Interest
AGSG Business Items
- 2023 Board Election: The AGSG will be holding elections for the 2023-2026 term. If you are interested in becoming a board member, please send a brief bio and a list of the positions you would like to be considered for to Rebecca Loraamm (firstname.lastname@example.org) by December 15th . Board member positions, descriptions and expectations for these roles can be found in the AGSG bylaws: https://community.aag.org/appliedgeography/bylaws.
- 2023 Business Meeting: Since the annual meeting will be hybrid (both in person and virtually) this coming year, the board is discussing options as to whether the business meeting will be held virtually, in-person, or both in conjunction with the AAG Annual Meeting. More details will be announced soon.
AAG Annual Meeting
- The AAG Annual Meeting will take place March 23-March 27, 2023 and will be a hybrid meeting with both virtual and in-person options. For more information: https://www.aag.org/events/aag2023/
- Note that there are now two separate options for registrations, in-person or virtual, depending on how you would like to attend. November 10 is the Abstract Submission deadline for both papers and posters this year.
- The AGSG is interested in sponsoring sessions. If you have organized a session and would like AGSG to sponsor, please email Rebecca Loraamm (email@example.com). The deadline for organizing a session is December 1.
Awards & Opportunities
- AGSG Travel Awards. The AGSG Travel Awards serve to support travel for members of the Applied Geography Specialty Group who are participating in the 2023 AAG Annual Meeting. This award is open to all members of the specialty group who are presenting in any research-related capacity at the meeting both in-person and virtual options. Applicants must be dues-paying members of the Applied Geography Specialty Group to be eligible for consideration. Multiple awards will be granted. Awards will be distributed by AAG as soon as awardees provide proof of conference registration. Awardees are expected to attend the AGSG business meeting during the 2023 AAG meeting to be recognized for their achievement. Funding is not guaranteed as applications are selected competitively. Applications are due no later than January 9, 2023. Apply: https://forms.gle/9JEFv4x6o5285rih8
- Anderson Medal: The Anderson Medal Competition is open and accepting applications. Nominations for the 2023 competition are due December 15, 2022. Visit the Anderson Medal webpage for more information and eligibility requirements for the Anderson Medal. If you have any questions, please reach out to Dr. Jerry Dobson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kauffman Paper Awards in Geography & Entrepreneurship: Sponsored by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the AAG hosts two annual awards for promising research studying geography and entrepreneurship: one for best paper and one for best student paper. The award identifies innovative research in business, applied or community geography that is relevant to questions related to entrepreneurs and their firms as well as to practitioners and policymakers. Research that has direct practical implications and that addresses pressing environmental, economic and/or social problems is especially appropriate for these awards. Awards are presented at the AAG Annual Meeting. Two awardees will receive a check for $1,500, complimentary meeting registration, and a complimentary ticket to the AAG Awards Luncheon. The runner up for each award will receive complimentary registration and a complimentary ticket to the AAG Awards Luncheon. Award winners and runners up will be invited to present their research in a session highlighting geography and entrepreneurship. Deadline to submit: November 5, 2022. For more information, visit: http://www.aag.org/kauffman
Fun Stuff & Good Reads/Listens
Upcoming Opportunities & Events
- NASA ARSET hosts virtual trainings introducing remote sensing resources. For a list of upcoming trainings and to access freely-available training archives
- Esri MOOC Program:Massive open online courses show how to apply geospatial thinking and create data-driven insight that improves organizations, communities, and the world. To see upcoming courses see link above.
Internship & Job Openings
- The AAG offers a wealth of information to answer questions, guide your career planning, and help you find a job. Members and non-members alike are invited to explore AAG resources: https://jobs.aag.org/
- NASA internships and fellowships leverage NASA’s unique missions and programs to enhance and increase the capability, diversity and size of the nation’s future workforce. Internships are available from high school to graduate level. Internships provide students with the opportunity to participate in either research or other experiential learning, under the guidance of a mentor at NASA. US citizenship is required. For more information, visit: https://intern.nasa.gov/
- NASA DEVELOP, part of NASA’s Applied Sciences Program, addresses environmental and public policy issues through interdisciplinary research projects that apply the lens of NASA Earth observations to community concerns around the globe. The program runs three terms a year (spring, summer, and fall). For more information, eligibility, and application deadlines, visit: https://develop.larc.nasa.gov/apply.php
Stay in touch!
Follow us on Twitter: @applied_geog
Follow us on Facebook: Applied Geography SG facebook page
Visit our Community Website: Applied Geography Community Site